The original school was built in 1872.
Mary Anne Patrick had inherited land at Edgeside and felt the local children needed somewhere to go to school. Their parents were mostly employees in the felt and cotton mills alongside Whitewell Brook and Shaw Clough, in the quarries at Scout or in hillside farms and coal pits.
A fund was set up by Mrs Patrick and a local architect, Mr Harry Percival of Newchurch was engaged. The foundation stone was laid on 31st August 1872 by Mrs Patrick and on the 7th April 1873 the school opened as Edgeside Holme National School.
A Sunday school started on 4th May 1873 and the school ‘sermons’ have been held on the first Sunday in May ever since.
There have been alterations and improvements to the school throughout the years. In 1992, the building was extended and a new hall and a new classroom were built. On 6th February 1997, a Nursery officially opened on the land opposite school. In 1998, alterations were completed to the infant classroom to provide improved accommodation for our younger pupils.
The Nursery site has also been extended to provide a dedicated Foundation Stage facility to enhance provision for our early years children.
Most recently, we have further expanded on the Key Stage 2 site, with a new Year 6 classroom.
In the Summer Term of 2015, an outdoor multi-sports facility was built on the Key Stage 2 playground, as a result of being awarded a £30,000 Sport England Grant.